Does Your Child Freeze in Social Situations?
Fearless Friends: An eight-week skills building group that helps children with selective mutism find their voice.
Wednesdays 5:00-6:00 pm
205 Wild Basin Rd. Suite 3-202
Austin, TX 78746
Thursdays 5:00-6:00 pm
3000 Joe DiMaggio Blvd Suite 66
Round Rock, TX 78665
Selective Mutism is a complex childhood anxiety disorder characterized by an inability to speak in social situations, such as school, despite speaking comfortably at home and in other situations. Selective Mutism is often overwhelming and debilitating. Early intervention is particularly important for children with Selective Mutism and leads to quicker treatment response and better prognosis. If left untreated, Selective Mutism can have the following negative consequences throughout a child’s life:
- Chronic anxiety
- Social isolation
- Poor self-esteem
- Suicidal ideation
- Substance abuse
- School refusal
- Academic and vocational underachievement
The good news is that Selective Mutism is very treatable!
Fearless Friends group members will:
- learn how to effectively manage anxiety in social situations
- gain confidence while practicing communication skills with peers and adults in a fun, supportive environment
Fearless Friends Parents will:
- learn research informed skills to help their child
- gain support and learn how to communicate about Selective Mutism with their child’s school, coaches, and other important people in their child’s life
- receive take-home materials, including practical tips and a Do’s and Don’ts Guide
Contact us at 512-246-7225 or [email protected] to learn more about Selective Mutism or to enroll your child in Fearless Friends.