It is estimated that 36 percent of people with social anxiety experience symptoms for 10 years or longer before seeking help. With effective treatment, your child can experience relief and overcome social anxiety. Consider providing your child with an opportunity to learn and practice skills that will last a lifetime.
Call us at (512) 246-7225
- is characterized by fear of being negatively judged or embarrassed in social situations.
- usually begins in early adolescence; however, it can begin much earlier.
- can begin suddenly after a stressful or embarrassing experience or gradually over time.
- tends to run in families so other members of your family may share similar difficulties.
- affects boys and girls equally.
- affects more than 15 million Americans.
- is associated with depression, low self-esteem, poor school performance, difficulty establishing and maintaining friendships, substance abuse and suicide attempts.
- Tearfulness or tantrums
- Poor eye contact
- School refusal
- Avoiding group projects or answering questions in class
- Insisting that a parent be present or readily available
- Declining social invitations
- Avoiding new activities or going out in public
- Frequently spending weekends at home rather than spending time with friends
Goals of the Group Include
- managing anxiety
- meeting new people
- initiating and maintaining conversations
- being assertive and expressing opinions
- identifying topics for conversation
- interacting with peers of the opposite gender
- ordering at restaurants and eating with peers
- reading aloud
- speaking in a group setting
- developing closer relationships
- increasing confidence
Mondays 6:30-7:30 pm
205 Wild Basin Rd. Suite 3-202
Austin, TX 78746
Wednesdays 5:00-6:00 pm
600 Round Rock West Dr. Suite 601
Round Rock, TX 78681
For more information about social anxiety or to enroll your child in our social anxiety group call (512) 246-7225 or email us at [email protected] We are currently accepting new group members at our Round Rock and West Lake Hills therapy offices.