Social Skills Group
Is your child ready to get out there and build friendships, but struggling to understand the steps needed to make and sustain meaningful relationships?
Our social skills therapy group is designed to teach your child or teen appropriate interaction with peers, adults, and those they meet in their social world. Our groups are based on the knowledge that social skills are essential for a meaningful, values-filled life, but sometimes tricky and even a little messy. At Austin Anxiety and OCD Specialists, we aim to learn and practice these skills in a fun, inclusive and challenging way that fosters friendship and motivation for growth for all group members. With each lesson, group members will take on new challenges as a team to learn and thrive together, building confidence that translates to their real-world social experiences.
Social Skills Targets Covered:
- Expected and unexpected behavior in social settings
- Building relationships — from acquaintances to long-term friendships
- Navigating social settings with courage and flexibility
- Reading and responding to social cues
- Setting and respecting boundaries
- Handle rejection, teasing, and bullying through self-advocacy and support seeking
- Identifying and expressing feelings
- Being assertive and handling conflict